Wednesday, June 16, 2010

5K Run for the Whole Family

On Saturday we participated in a 5K run to support the young men at our Church.
Our family BEFORE the race
Our family AFTER the race;
Derrick pushed the kids for the WHOLE 3+ miles!

(except he let me take the stroller for a small downhill- that was great!)
We were amazed at how well-behaved the kids were. We told them we were doing a "stroller race," but we ended up being the only ones WITH a stroller. They munched on snacks and drank water. They thought it was funny when Daddy splashed water on himself at the water stations. They also liked when bystanders cheered for them, and they liked watching all the houses and parks go by. If I ever fell behind them, the kids encouraged (or ordered) me to catch up. After we crossed the finish line, we let the kids get out and run across the finish line, too.
Derrick won second place for his age category!
Here with fellow medal-winners April and Dave
I was so delighted that our kids enjoyed themselves, and that Derrick was rewarded for his incredible efforts. Fun run!

7 comments:

Derrick M said...

Next time you push the stroller, and we'll see if you call it a 'fun run!'

Gary and Kirsten said...

Congratulations. Must have been a little different than crossing the finish line in Notre Dame. Next time let the kids run part of it. How nice of them to cheer you on when you got behind!!! I'll bet it was nothing for April! Enjoy the stroller, we can't get them anymore and we need one for Trevor!

Rock, Paper, Scissors said...

WOW! Good for you guys. I love the first photo- you guys look fitastic and so happy! It really is a nice picture.

I am very impressed!

April said...

The "before" and "after" pictures are great! Makes me chuckle.
It was a fun race... I'm sure glad I didn't have to push my kids!
Next race for Michelle and me: Sprint Triathalon!!!! :) (It's next month by the way)

Together We Save said...

Looks like fun... glad the kids had a good time.

Steph said...

Oh man you guys did so well! I am so proud. You've inspired me for next summer Jon and I will have to do a stroller run. This summer...not so much fun to "run" 8 months pregnant.

The Hamilton House said...

You should be proud!! I am thinking I would rather be pushed in the stroller though too! Are you coming back soon Michelle to meet your niece? I see your mom's comment about the stroller- right now Costco has something very similar, maybe not as nice of brand as yours, that is a bike trailer like that and converts to a jogging stroller- fits 2 children and is aruond $130- we got one!