Monday, August 30, 2010

Second Trip to the Dentist

The kids had their second dental cleaning and check-up. I'm keeping them on a strict twice a year schedule for routine cleanings because that's what my mom did for me growing up and I never had any cavities. I'm a believer in taking good care of our teeth! I practiced examining their teeth before we went; the kids did fabulous for their appointment. The staff at this office was so quick; we were in and out in 20 minutes!
Dayton ready for his cleaning
Dayton getting brushedNew toothbrush, of course
When the dentist was brushing Dayton's teeth, she asked, "Mom, who brushes his teeth?" I was instantly worried that his teeth were in poor condition; I told her that Dayton and I both take a turn at each brushing. Then she told me his teeth looked great and we should keep up the good work. Big sigh of relief for me!
Daphne liked her Dora sticker
Daphne was VERY excited for her turn
Daphne getting cleaned
Showing me her clean teeth afterward
The dentist said Daphne's teeth look great, too. But she warned me that Daphne's back teeth have deep grooves, so she will be susceptible to cavities without vigilant care. We'll make sure all food particles get scrubbed out at every brushing.

Note: I do not intend to document EVERY trip to the dentist. I brought my camera to get pictures of Daphne's check-up because last time she was in my lap and I couldn't take pictures.

3 comments:

Cora said...

Some of my kids have deep grooves in their back teeth and we opted to seal them. Our dentist charges $20/sealing (some insurances may cover it) and it's worth every penny! The sealants stay on for at least a couple years. Our older kids didn't all get sealants and I can tell the sealants made a difference in our younger kids. Just food for thought!

Gary and Kirsten said...

Good idea about the sealant, look into it. I am relieved that they enjoy the dentist so much. You and Derrick do such a great job preparing them for all their medical/dental visits. It sure has paid off!

The Hamilton House said...

I agree about sealants!! I had them growing up as a kid, and just had my first cavity ever last year!