Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Assorted Provo Fun

To wrap up the journal of our Provo trip: an assortment of fun activities.

Smart Cycle
My mom bought this bike at a garage sale for a steal: $5. The bike hooks up to the TV, and the kids pedal through the course and games. Dayton and Daphne both loved this new toy!
Dayton helped Daphne navigate the games

Nana's Phone
All day long the kids said, "I want to play games on Nana's phone." My mom has a new iPhone, and she put lots of games for her grandchildren on it. The kids had to take turns using it; they got a lot of entertainment from this phone. And now their Daddy wants to buy one!

Chocolate Milk

My kids know that Nana gives them chocolate milk (but Mommy does not), so whenever their sippy cups were empty, then ran to Nana and asked for chocolate milk. Nana's price for milk was a kiss on the cheek, so the kids gladly kissed her every time they wanted their sweet treat!

BYU
I loved visiting the BYU campus. It brought back so many memories of school there- we loved living in Provo. But I felt old seeing all the other students, because I'm now 25 and I graduated two years ago.
We had burgers and milkshakes at the BYU Creamery;
My kids called it "the ice cream store"
Daphne, our little acrobat, climbing on the seat
My mom treated our family to new BYU t-shirts;
Yes, we got one for Daddy, too

Cafe Rio
This was our favorite restaurant in Provo, and we have missed it dearly in Chicago. I was thrilled to get a chicken salad at Cafe Rio, and it tasted just as good as I remember it. I also got to eat at J-Dawgs and Zupas, my other two Provo favorites.

Laundry
Daphne liked my mom's washer because it was front-loading, so Daphne could put the clothes in by herself.
Pushing Start
And watching it go!
Daphne loved it!

Potty-training

We worked on full-time potty-training for Daphne during this trip. She had been doing fairly well at home, but in Provo she wore panties the whole time (except during the night). She had a few accidents, but we were all pleased with how well she did running to the bathroom and climbing onto the toilet on her own. Then she called for wiping assistance, "Mommy I'm all done!!" She finished potty-training before her 2.5-year mark.

Catching Grasshoppers
My mom bought bug kits for my kids. The ivy in front of my mom's house is home to about a dozen grasshoppers. My kids loved going outside with their nets to catch some, so we did it many, many times.
Then we put the grasshoppers in bug containers
Dayton getting a good look at his grasshopper
Once we took two grasshoppers in containers inside,
but Daphne dropped hers and the grasshopper hopped out
(Nana was not thrilled).
After that, grasshoppers weren't allowed in the house!

Dayton letting his grasshopper go;
We played catch-and-release each time, so I think
we caught the same few grasshoppers over and over

My Dad and I played tennis one morning as well, but I don't have a picture of that. Whenever I'm with my parents, they urge me to play tennis. It's actually nice to be encouraged because I never get out to play anymore, except when I play with my Dad!

I also got to visit my close friend Ashely and her family at her new house. She worked with me at BYU Treasury Services years ago, and she is responsible for introducing me to my favorite movie of ALL time: Pride and Prejudice (the old, long one). Our kids are close in age and we have kept in touch since I've moved. So many things can change in life, but good friends stay the same.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daphne is such a cute little helper! The kids are braver than I at catching grasshoppers. I probably would have cried because I hate grasshoppers so much =]

Javidite said...

You know, Stephanie and I bought those same BYU shirts and similiar ones for Lucy and Molly. They are a must have item.

Gena said...

You're 25? I always thought you were at least a couple years older than me? (Not saying I think you're old, I just thought that with church activities that you were older). I'll be 24 in November. But yeah, I feel the same way about feeling old. I still feel like I should at least be younger than most people's husbands, and then I find out all these couples in our ward are only like 21 and 22! Weird!!

Do you guys like the Cafe Rio pork? We have an AWESOME copy recipe of that. If you'd like it, let me know, and I'll send you the link. It tastes so good, and even have that tomatillo ranch dressing too!!