Saturday, July 17, 2010

Roadtrip to Missouri

Derrick's family had a reunion in Missouri, but Derrick had school all week and could not attend the reunion. So the kids and I took a roadtrip together! It was a 10+ hour drive, but we split the drive over two days.

Day One
Happy kids starting out!
We ran into a LOT of construction/road-work slowdowns
Day One Total Time: 6.5 hours
Movies: the kids took turns choosing the movies
Toy Story 2 - Dayton
Shrek - Daphne
Wubbzy Goes Green - Dayton
Wee Sing - Daphne

We stayed in a hotel half-way along our route;
The kids loved our room
Daphne played and played with the fridge!
She filled it with dolls, toys, hairbows, and hairties
She also jumped and jumped on the beds
Dayton enjoyed the TV because he got to watch Spongebob
(we don't have cable at home)
We swam in the pool, too, but no pictures of that

Day Two
We finally found a McDonald's with a playplace, so we stopped there for a long lunch; the kids burned off plenty of energy. And the kids got ice cream!
My clean boy
My messy girl
Within minutes, the kids went from this...To this!!
I was excited that they slept, because they didn't sleep on Day One
We knew we made it to the Missouri boonies when
we were behind this tractor (going 5 mph) on the Highway
Day Two Total Time: 7 hours
Movies: (fewer because they napped)
Cars - Dayton
Bolt - Daphne
Princess and the Frog - Dayton


My kids were great for the drive. I gave them plenty of snacks and junk food, plus they watched many movies. I am definitely willing to take roadtrips with them by myself again. But Dayton did mention several times, "Mommy this is taking a long time, so let's just go home." If only he understood that home was far away, too!

7 comments:

Gary and Kirsten said...

I hope you remembered to get all of Daphne's toys from the fridge! They were smiling in all their pictures.

The Rinkels said...

The doll in the fridge is the best! That was very brave of you to take a long road trip by yourself. That just goes to show what good kids you have.

Derrick M said...

I'm glad you were only taking pictures while driving and not texting! Lol, love ya babe!

Gretchen said...

Wow!!! You've got yourself a pair of wonderful travelers! Even I don't do that well on a long drive :-) You are a brave woman.

Tara H said...

yes, how were you taking pics?? that is the first thing I thought. Very cool that you made it and made it fun it sounds like.

Anonymous said...

I'm totally jealous that your kids are such good travelers =]

Javidite said...

How were your kids on the drive home?