Thursday, March 18, 2010

Toothpaste Rivalry

A few years back in our marriage, Derrick and I developed a rivalry. It started when a tube of toothpaste was ridiculously low, and one of us said something very matter-of-fact like, "Oh you threw that out... I could still get toothpaste out of it."

Since then we've been in a competition to see who can squeeze every last morsel of toothpaste out of each tube, and whoever succumbs to throwing away the tube is the loser. We're constantly twisting, bending, scraping and re-scraping our toothpastes in the spirit of the game.When a tube is low, we secretly race to see who can brush their teeth first and have a better chance at getting toothpaste to come out of the tube. ONE of us even tries to squeeze out a larger helping in order to prevent the other from having any left.

One night when I went to bed before Derrick got home from studying, I even left him this endearing note to prove to him that I was still milking this tube.When I returned from Washington, I was surprised to find this contraption on our toothpaste.Derrick got this as free swag at a Podiatry conference. It appears to be very efficient in draining the tube of toothpaste. I'm thinking this may be the end of the Toothpaste Rivalry. Or perhaps we'll still end up bending the end by the spout in a battle when this nifty device won't push out anymore toothpaste. We'll see, right honey?

5 comments:

Derrick M said...

This thing won't get out the last drop. That's what we have opposable thumb for!

The Hamilton House said...

Haha, this is funny!! I love it.

April said...

He, he... Too funny!

Gary and Kirsten said...

You two are too competitive. At least it's all in fun... isn't it?

The Rinkels said...

You two are crackin' me up right now. On a serious note, it's apparent that you've conquered toothpaste. You should consider moving on to something else, maybe toilet paper or dental floss....