Friday, March 12, 2010

Michelle's Grandpa's Ashes

George Ernest Klein
My Grandpa on my Dad's side died 9 years ago when I was a sophomore in high school. He was the first personal death I had experienced, and it was very hard for me. I remember crying and crying without being able to stop. My Grandpa was an AMAZING man; he was polite, courteous, hard-working, very serving toward others, amusing, and charming. He and my Grandma lived about 40 minutes from our home, so we saw him very often. He was in our lives for every birthday, first communion, 8th grade graduation, Christmas, Easter, and other major celebrations.

We've had his ashes for 9 years now, intending that his final resting place would be on his favorite tree farm across the street from his home. We remember visiting this tree farm every year to pick out our Christmas trees, and riding in the back of Grandpa's truck dangling our feet over the edge (unsafe, I know- it's likely that I won't let my kids do this until they're 18 years old). Since Grandpa passed away, this tree farm has not been tended to, and the trees are all way too large for Christmas trees now.

We finally took the time to get everyone out to Grandma's house together and sprinkle Grandpa's ashes on his farm. It was a pleasant outing for us. It made me happy to remember Grandpa, and it was probably much easier because he's been gone for so long. Even still if I stop to think about missing him and all the joyful parts of my life he has not been here for, I cry instantly. But I remind myself that he's been able to enjoy everything from heaven's view. I remember when Derrick and I were sealed in the Temple, and our Sealer mentioned the angels present in the room with us, I knew without a doubt that my Grandpa was there for my wedding. And I know he loves the great-grandkids I've had that he hasn't met, and I know he's especially proud of the higher education that my sisters and I have all received (school was VERY important to him; he was a doctor of management). I can picture him smiling always.

The Klein Sisters
Expecting parents Jenny and TrevorMichelle and Laura with the ashes
The tree farm had such a different meaning for Dayton and Daphne. My family had been here numerous times growing up, but this was my kids' first visit. They didn't know what we were doing with the dirt, or who Grandpa was (we decided not to explain that the ashes were Grandpa). Dayton and Daphne sure loved the adventure that this tree farm offered. They jumped over a creek, found empty snail shells, and loved wandering around.
Dayton kept insisting that he was "going on a camp-out." Nana indulged him and walked a while down the path with him for his camp-out (while Mommy and Daphne ate snacks in the car). Grandpa caught up to them for the camp-out and explained all the animal droppings to Dayton. Dayton later told me that the little poop was from reindeer (although I'm pretty sure my dad called them deer), and the big poop was from dogs. Dayton loved this adventure. He's been asking me for another camp-out.I'm glad my kids have grand-parents as active in their lives as my grandparents were in mine. I'm sure Dayton and Daphne are forming memories of the special things they do with both sets of grand-parents, and I know someday they'll look back fondly on them all. What a treasure.

4 comments:

Gary and Kirsten said...

I am glad we finally took care of Grandpas ashes. Thank you Laura for reminding us! Half of his ashes were spread the year he died at his homestead in Minnesota. I think of him often and I frequently ask myself what he would do in a similar situation. His three granddaughters were VERY important to him and he had so much patience with all of you. When I saw dad playing with Dayton the other day I knew grandpa would do the same thing. I am glad you remember him so well. At our wedding he came there only knowing dad and I. He sat down at every table and met every single person there. At Klein he knew nearly every worker and knew about their families as well. So how did he have a son like dad?

Laurel said...

That was a very sweet post.

The Rinkels said...

Such a sweet tribute to your Grandpa. Grandparents are special people.

Rock, Paper, Scissors said...

That is so nice you were all able to go and remember the good times.