Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Egg Science Experiment

I tried to do a science experiment with my kids. I was told that putting an egg in a glass of vinegar overnight would result in the egg being shell-less in the morning. My mom had some old vinegar she was going to throw out, so we decided to try the experiment.

The kids feeling the egg's shell to see that it's hard
Me with the old vinegarPouring the vinegar into the cups
The next morning we checked on the eggs to find
that the shells were still there, but they had become soft
Feeling the soft egg
Cutting the egg open, just for fun;
of course the kids wanted to feel the egg yolk

So even though in my mind, the experiment did not go as planned because the shell was still there, the kids liked that it turned from hard to soft. I blame this on the old vinegar. We may have to try it again someday.

2 comments:

Rock, Paper, Scissors said...

I did the same experiment as a kid. It definitely takes longer than over night(I am thinking at LEAST 3 days probably longer). eventually the shell is completely gone and you can see the yoke through the membrane part.

It will look like a bouncy ball but it will NOT bounce.

Derrick M said...

Ya, we did this experiment too when I was a kid. I think you want at least 24 hours. It comes out REALLY cool afterwards