Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ice Cream Party

At Church
My friend April and I were assigned a birthday table at a social gathering at our Church. Our task was to come up with a fun party idea for a 3 to 8 year old child. I'd love to say I was the creative genius behind our Ice Cream Party theme, but I was not. April vigorously searched the internet for party info; she combined several great ideas and came up with a birthday party any child would love.
The triple-scoop ice cream cone centerpiece (made by April)
My small contributions were 3-D ice cream cone invitations,
and extra paper cones and sundaes for decoration
The adorable party favor (made by April):
An ice cream cup filled with jelly beans,
and an ice cream cone-shaped bubbles container,
tied with a crazy straw on top
Cupcake Cones (made by April)
The cutest cupcakes I've ever seen
Game Ideas:
-Scoop cotton balls from one bowl to another with a heavy ice cream scooper while blindfolded; can be a race to empty the bowl, or just see who scoops the most in 30 seconds. (I played this game by myself, and I really couldn't feel if my scoop had any cotton balls on it while I was transferring between bowls, so I'm sure it's amusing to watch.)
-Make large paper cones for each guest and have them try catching "scoops of ice cream" (ie balloons) in their cones.
-Make ice cream sundaes with LOTS of toppings.

At Home
I had a fair amount of left-overs after the party at Church, so I set up a "party" to surprise my kids when they woke up the next morning.
They danced around the room with their little umbrellas
Daphne kept blowing on her umbrella,
expecting it to spin or something I guess
The balloons were (and still are) a BIG HIT
They were excited about their cupcake cones
This picture makes me laugh because:
1) Daphne plunged her fingers into her cupcake, and
2) Dayton curiously wondered how the cone was a cupcake
After breakfast, the kids ate their cupcake cones;
needless to say, they gobbled them up and loved them

This Ice Cream Party was a success twice in a row. Everyone at Church was impressed with April's ideas, and my kids sure loved their party at home, too.

4 comments:

Gary and Kirsten said...

I am glad you were able to have such a successful party idea. You and April make a great team. That is a great idea for a party for that age range, and for almost any age.

Steph said...

ummmm yeah that is SUPER cute! I love it! So was this for a RS party or a primary party? I was totally in love with the invitations and balloon ice cream center piece. very cool!

Steph said...

ok i just re-read it for 3-8 year olds so I will go with primary activity?

The Hamilton House said...

Very cute party! I love those cupcake-icecream cones! How did you bake them in the cone?!