Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Strawberry Spinach Salad


The two keys to this delicious salad are the home-made dressing and candied almonds (add about 1/2 cup of nuts). The rest of the salad is a bag of baby spinach and sliced strawberries (add as many strawberries as you want!).



Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing
3 tablespoons strawberry vinegar (mix 2 strawberries with 3 tablespoons vinegar in your blender)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon dried onion
1/2 cup canola oil

Mix until sugar and salt is dissolved. Easy shaking and pouring if you use a gravy mixing container. Add to salad as you eat it (ie on your own plate/bowl), otherwise the leftovers will get soggy. But if you're not planning on leftovers, then toss it on before serving.

Here's what's left of our dressing.


Candied Nuts
Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook
Note: These are not my pictures.

2 cups nuts (I used a 1 and 2/3 cups bag of sliced almonds)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Place a piece of parchment paper or a silicone baking mat on a flat surface or baking sheet. (DO NOT USE WAXED PAPER!!! If you don't have parchment or silicone, you can use a baking sheet coated with non-stick cooking spray-that's what I did.)

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Melt the butter, then add the sugar and nuts.


Cook over med-high heat while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the sugar melts and turns a golden brown. (You may still see some sugar crystals that haven't melted--that's okay.)

Remove pan from heat and add vanilla extract (it will sizzle). Stir vigorously.

Turn the hot nuts onto the prepared surface. Spread nuts out evenly. Cool completely before using or eating.

6 comments:

Rock, Paper, Scissors said...

For those who are hesitating making this recipe, I would like to lend my validation to the tastiness.

Had it LOVED it but I don't cook so I'll wait until the next get together to have more of the Professional's own mix.

Derrick M said...

Definitely worth making. Especially for guests or a special occasion! I LOVED it!

April said...

YES! The secret recipe revealed! So DEEEE-lish!

Gary and Kirsten said...

Michelle: Thanks for sharing your recipe. When I made it I was in a hurry so I bought the honey roasted almonds. It was delicious. When you come home you will have to make this for us. I have one that I made very similar using Mandarin oranges. When I get home I will post mine.

Gena said...

Mmmm, can't wait to try this. I've had this salad before - so good! And WHAT with candied almonds is NOT good! I just love them!

Heidi said...

I am so going to try that.