Dayton, Daphne, Susie, Paisley, and Mia all played a Dora game (that I had been preparing for a month!). It was NOT a girly Dora game, though (right, honey?). The guest list was exclusive due to the many preparations made for each child. My mom made backpacks for the kids to wear, and I put 'tools' in the backpacks for the obstacles along our journey (I had prepared the obstacles in different rooms of our house).
Dayton and Daphne's backpacks

The kids pulled out their maps to see where to go first

First the kids helped a family of ducks get to the lake.
Then we needed a way to get across the lake, so everyone pulled a numbered stepping stone out of their backpacks so we could follow the numbers across the lake. They also pulled out noise-makers to scare crocodiles away.
Stepping Stones to cross the Lake
The kids kept blowing their party noise-makers to make sure crocodiles would stay away while we were there.

On our way up the stairs to the next room!

Next stop: the Tunnel
The tunnel was in the kids' room. From their backpacks, the kids pulled out small flashlights and glow-sticks so they could see where they were going in the completely dark room (windows were covered with black paper).
The kids found Boots hidden in the tunnel
and decided to bring him to the party with us.
and decided to bring him to the party with us.

The Boots that I printed and laminated
(instead of buying one!)
The tunnel fell apart as Susie and Dayton
decided to poke their heads up in the middle.
Daphne loved playing with her flashlight.
(instead of buying one!)
The tunnel fell apart as Susie and Dayton decided to poke their heads up in the middle.
Daphne loved playing with her flashlight.

Daphne shining her flashlight right in her eye
This picture makes me laugh
Final stop: Party House!
Here the kids had to shake the balloons to
find which ones were hiding bouncy balls.

Swiper the Fox made an appearance in the tunnel; he was trying to swipe our flashlights. So the kids chanted "Swiper no swiping!" at him and he went away. But as we were leaving the room, Dayton wanted Swiper to come to his party, too. How thoughtful.
Final stop: Party House!
Here the kids had to shake the balloons to
find which ones were hiding bouncy balls.

Uncle Joe helping Dayton open his spinning light globe

I discovered that Derrick has a hidden talent: he can make balloon shapes! He made a few dogs and swords for the party. The swords were the most popular. Our friend Dave was such a trooper entertaining the kids and letting them all fight him.

After a dinner of soft-tacos, fruit salad, layered jello mold (by the way, Dayton's ENTIRE dinner was jello, and later cupcakes), and a superb spinach salad (for which I will post the recipe later since it was so highly sought after at the party), it was finally time for cake.
Dayton's Boots, Diego, and Dora Birthday Cake

Opening presents- Dayton went for the biggest one first

His wonderful gifts from his family and friends
This microphone later kept him very entertained and hyperHe walked back and forth along the treadmill
while he sang many of the songs he knows.
He's a performer!
while he sang many of the songs he knows.
He's a performer!

Derrick's favorite part of the evening:
Setting up Dayton's new soccer net
Derrick LOVES soccer, and has been wanting a net for Dayton

Michelle's favorite part of the evening:
Two of our exclusive guests (that I hadn't seen in a few months) told me that I look really skinny and appear to have been losing weight! I don't think I have, and I've been VERY inconsistent about exercising- even going a few empty weeks at a time, but OH MAN do I feel good now!!! I told Derrick that means I can start eating whatever I want. But I don't mean to detract from the immense gratification that I felt as I saw how much the kids loved the game.
Dayton and Daphne's favorite parts of the evening:
I could not even guess. They both loved every part of this birthday party- the friends, the game, the cake, and the presents.
Credit for this party idea ENTIRELY goes to Mary Hassell, my good friend from Provo, UT. She did this party months ago for her daughter, and I thought it was the neatest thing I'd ever seen, so I copied it exactly (except some adjustments for a boy). Mary- you're amazing. Thank you. All my time and efforts were COMPLETELY worth it, and I'd do it again. I'm hoping you have another wonderful party for Hannah next year that I can copy for Dayton's 4th birthday!!!











11 comments:
I wish we could have been there to share the festivities with Dayton. It looks like everyone had a great time. YOU did an amazing job planning and preparing everything for the party. I am glad you know such great people like Mary to "swipe" ideas from. Thoise are the kind of parties I wished I had for you girls but I was never that creative. You could start a business having parties with themes for kids!
I was going to say that you looked super skinny! Sounds like a fun party!
What an awesome party idea! I wish I was more creative =] Your kids keep getting cuter & cuter. The flashlight picture makes me laugh because Kennady would do the same thing. I can't believe Dayton is 3 already!
You are so clever. What a great idea. I'll definitely be asking you for ideas when I can't think of any!
Looks like Dayton had a wonderful birthday! What fun parents you are! Happy Birthday to Dayton :)
I love this post! This party rocks! I want a party like this, and a microphone like Dayton's! I hope I can get him to perform for me!
Tell him Happy Birthday from his honarary Aunt Serena!
I think your mom may be on to something! You should start a business... Make the little bags and all the tools a mom would need to throw this party and sell it! I love party planning- something about seeing the end result all come together makes it so gratifying! Nice job!!!
You are sooo sweet! The party looks like a SMASHING success!!! WOW! How fun!!! I just wish I could have been there for all the fun! Fabulouso Michelle!! :) It looks like yours was an even better party!! I miss you!!!
All Susie talks about now is the Dora game. She'll say, "we need to go in Dayton's basement and go to the Lake and scare away the crocodiles!" Or will correct me when I call her by her name, "No, mommy, I'm Dora now." And she cried when I tried taking off her new Dora backpack when dropping her off at school. She just had the greatest time at Dayton's party! Thanks for all your hard work... it was AMAZING!!!!
Do you want to plan Rowan's first birthday? You did a great job with Dayton's. Swiping ideas is no biggie, it just means you like it, right?
That is way creative!
Post a Comment