Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Carving Pumpkins

We carved pumpkins on Monday for our family night. I thought it would be a quick activity, but in the end we each worked on our pumpkins for about an hour (taking turns with the tools). The kids had fun being carving spectators, and they also played in the living room and danced to music, being SO GOOD while Mommy and Daddy worked.

The kids first enjoyed running around on the newspaper
I later had to wipe off their feet before bed because they were tinted grey"Helping" Mommy get started on the top
We convinced Daphne to stick her hand inside the mess
Dayton kept his distance when he saw all the mess coming out
Derrick concentrating on his difficult design
The kids posing with our finished pumpkins
Can you believe we got them BOTH to smile AND look at the camera?!
Michelle's pumpkin: Wubbzy
I was hoping the kids would love their favorite character on a pumpkin. I was nervous for Dayton's reaction because often when I draw/make something for him and I ask him how it looks he'll be innocently honest and say, "Not good" or "It doesn't look very good." But when he saw the finished pumpkin he said, "What a cool Wubbzy!" which was so gratifying for me!
In case you're not familiar with this lovable creature,
this is what Wubbzy is supposed to look like-
I think I did a good job!
Derrick's pumpkin: a Ghost in a Haunted House
The kids were admiring the glowing pumpkins
You can't tell because of the camera's flash,
but we had the lights off to see the pumpkins lit.
Dayton blowing out the candles
Daphne putting the tops back on

8 comments:

Derrick M said...

Looks like I have a new background!

Lindsy Hartsock said...

Cute pumpkins! Thank you so much for the recipes! You are so sweet. I can't wait to try them out!

Laurel said...

Those carvings look great! You should let the kids paint faces on pumpkins. Or use markers. Or push in Mr. Potatoe Head face pieces. That's fun too.

The Rinkels said...

Great Wubzy! Did Derrick carve his freestyle? Impressive!

Gena said...

I don't know who Wubbzy is, but that sure looks good. I think it's so funny Dayton doesn't like to get messy! Avie is kinda like that... but will to a point. And Derrick's pumpkins is pretty cool too!

Gary and Kirsten said...

Pumpkin carving is a lot different than when you were little. I remember the year dad and I tried carving our pumpkins underwater while scuba diving. You both did a great job. Next time let the kids do it!

April said...

They turned out great! So fun! And, so very funny that Dayton would back away at just the sight of the ooey-gooey pumpkin insides!

Serena said...

I love this! We still haven't carved ours yet.... And your pumpkin is way better.