Airport
It all started at the airport in Chicago... Our flight was very delayed so we spent 5 hours at the airport. We kept Dayton awake via a McDonald's vanilla milkshake. Luckily we found a wonderful play area for children where we spent our time. This slide became my doom... Dayton insisted that I join him on the slide, even though I was carrying Daphne and Nana could have easily gone instead (she flew to Chicago to fly home with me and the kids). I did this slide several times until finally, it got me. A nail at the top of the slide snagged my pants and RRIIIIIP! Yes, the tear was visible when I stood up (which cracked up my mom), so I tied my mom's jacket around my waste for the next 6 hours. Rest in peace my old worn black stretchy yoga pants.

Plane
Finally, we got on the plane and it was Daphne's first flight, so we took some pictures. The kids did well because the plane left at 11:30 PM, so they slept through most of the 4 hours (you can see how groggy Dayton was).



Serena's Wedding
The original very important purpose of my trip was to attend the wedding of my very best friend Serena and her new husband Saduq. The wedding was a beautiful success and worth the trip. These are the only photos I took at the wedding because I had my video camera glued to my hand the rest of the time. Serena was the most beautiful bride.


Chehalis
The Kleins and Friends
In Chehalis, we had adventures galore. I made 5 cherry pies! My mom and dad had been saving their cherries so I could make pies. I hope everyone enjoyed them!
My mom had a party while we were home so we were able to see many friends and family members that we hadn't seen in a while and probably will not see for another long while. Thanks to all who traveled long and far to see my little family. We had more friends stop by for visits...
Michelle's God-mother: Jennifer Kristiansen
Michelle's friend Serena (the afore-mentioned bride).
Yes, I look pale next to her, but she just honeymooned in Mexico!
Go-cart
Michelle's friend Serena (the afore-mentioned bride).
Yes, I look pale next to her, but she just honeymooned in Mexico!

Grandpa pulled out our old go-cart for some thrill rides with our friends. Dayton called it a "car" and rode twice, although I think he enjoyed watching more than riding.

Bath Milestone
Dayton played with a pink teapot set during every bath at Nana's house. During one particular bath, Dayton leaned forward on his hands and knees grunting for a while. It took some time to realize what he was doing, but then it was too late. Sure enough, there in the bathtub, hiding under the bubbles, was a hard brown log (I took a picture of it, but I didn't think you'd want to see that). So Nana quickly drained the water, removed all of the teapot toys (to be sanitized in the dishwasher), and started another bath for Dayton. We just couldn't have him soaking in his own poop. This was Dayton's first bathtime poop. Hopefully never again!

Daphne Eating
Daphne has resisted all of our attempts to feed her oatmeal and rice cereal over the last two months, so we decided to try a fruit and vegetable. We tried carrots first. She took a few bites, but shuddered most of the time. I tried using my finger to feed her (Kaili's advice), and it worked a little better, but she still spit most of it back out.
Carrots

Next we tried peaches, and she seemed to dislike them even more than carrots! She made the funniest faces with the peaches.
Bee-Sting
Dayton got his first bee-sting, and he's not allergic! He was playing outside next to an apple tree. We think he was trying to pick up a half-rotted apple from the ground when the bee stung him. He screamed, and I knew what had happened because I'd seen the bee earlier. We rushed inside and I applied Nana's amazing After-Sting treatment to his thumb. We gave him some milk and let him watch Wow Wow Wubbzy on my bed to feel better. His thumb swelled, and he carried his left hand gingerly the rest of the day, refusing to use it or let anyone touch it. The next day the swelling was gone and his thumb seemed back to normal. The only lasting effect is that he is now terrified of flying bugs. He saw a fly in McDonald's and screamed. He says, "Bee hurt."

Playing
Nana and Grandpa outdid themselves with toys for Dayton. They purchase a few new ones (which is against the rule), and they dragged out many toys from my childhood. Needless to say, the kids had no reason to be bored.
Upon Dayton's request ("More piwow"), Nana brought him
all the pillows
from the three upstairs bedrooms to stuff into his crib. He LOVED it.
all the pillows
from the three upstairs bedrooms to stuff into his crib. He LOVED it.

Dayton Parading around in Mommy's Flip-flops

By the way, these are certainly not all of the toys; they're just the ones that were used often.
Old Training Potty Chair

Old Piano

When my mom pulled out our old Little Tikes dollhouse, we thought we were missing the little boy. My mom got on eBay to find another one and she found a whole world of buying and selling old Little Tikes dollhouse accessories. She became obsessed and HAD TO HAVE IT ALL! She did buy a new little boy (although we found ours later), and she ended up with about 3 of every other accessory, including cars, pools, kitchen sets, easels, picnic tables, playhouses, people, and far too many tables and chairs. Now that we're home, Dayton asks for his "dollhouf." Here the kids are playing in what we affectionately call "Little Tikes Town."
Grandpa bought Dayton a new toy plane,
but Grandpa got to do all the flying.

Proof that the plane actually flew.

Cracked wing #2
(Grandpa couldn't stay away from the trees).
Dayton said, "Pee crash; all done pee."

This new magnet set was Dayton's official early birthday present (because they're only allowed to give him one). He loved this set, and immediately began arranging the letters in straight lines. This is his first word 'Jnoutunyb.' Don't tell me you haven't heard of it?!
The letter set highlighted his addiction with...
The letter set highlighted his addiction with...All around the house Dayton found things to arrange into lines. He does this at home with his matchbox cars. He's either a genius or has OCD.
Living Room Pillows

Chairs in the Kitchen
(he called this a 'choo-choo')
One for Nana, Daphne, Grandpa, Dayton, and Mommy

Play Tables and Chairs

We took the kids to the Puyallup Fair. Dayton saw lots of farm animals; he was semi-excited and semi-terrified with them. He wanted to see more animals, but he'd cry if we got too close.
Nana shared ice cream with Dayton.
Nothing beats a warm, fresh, fatty Elephant Ear.
Dayton found a musical setup to bang on.
Dayton rode the Merry-Go-Round with Nana...
And Grandpa.
He wanted so badly to get back on.
He rode a train with Grandpa.
For days Dayton reminded us, "Gampa choo-choo."

This is how Daphne enjoyed the fair.
And here's me trying to preserve the memories.

My dad's mom, Ava Klein, visited the kids several times while we were there. They're her only great-grandchildren and she doesn't see them too often; this was her first time meeting Princess Daphne.
Needless to say, we did not eat healthy. We got elephant ears- raspberry jam for me and cinnamon and sugar for my mom. Dayton refused to eat mine, so Nana was FORCED to share hers with him. My dad said my mom will never share her elephant ear with him! I guess she loves Dayton more.
Nothing beats a warm, fresh, fatty Elephant Ear.

Dayton found a musical setup to bang on.
Dayton rode the Merry-Go-Round with Nana...

And Grandpa.

He wanted so badly to get back on.

He rode a train with Grandpa.

For days Dayton reminded us, "Gampa choo-choo."

This is how Daphne enjoyed the fair.

And here's me trying to preserve the memories.

Great-Grandma

Cute Siblings
I stripped my babies down to take some cute pictures of them in their diapers. We had to feed Dayton ice cream to keep him happy for the sitting. When we first sat him down with Daphne in the chair he screamed, "No Tada (Daphne)!" He doesn't like it when she touches him; how funny. I think some turned out pretty cute.
Rolly Polly Princess Daphne

Dayton
Silly Kids
Staring at Each Other
Okay, they're both full of rolls!
They played together in Dayton's crib

Holding Hands
Walks
Silly Kids

Staring at Each Other
Okay, they're both full of rolls!

They played together in Dayton's crib


Holding Hands

A few times Nana and Grandpa made us all go for a walk up and down some hills nearby. The kids enjoyed the walks, and usually slept through the second half. Once Dayton brought this tennis racket that Grandpa gave to him. Dayton never dropped it; he even had his fingers curled through the strings when he was sleeping so that I couldn't pull it away.

You can see Nana's house in the background of this picture.
Animals
My mom has 2 dogs and 3 cats at her house. Dayton ran around bothering them every day.

Kirkland
The Williams
We stayed a night at Jenny and Trevor's house. I left the camera in the car while we were there, but I assure you that Dayton thoroughly enjoyed himself. Back home in Chicago, he still asks for "Je-y's houf" and all of her cats. I mentioned Jenny's house, so Dayton ran and got his shoes. I love the way he says Oscar. Just watch...
Phantom of the Opera
My best birthday present ever was a trip to the Phantom of the Opera from Jenny and Trevor. My whole family came (except the kids, thanks to Trevor's parents). We saw it in Seattle. I was so excited to see it that my stomach was uneasy. It was AMAZING! Every performer hit their notes perfectly, even the high ones Christine and the Phantom had to hit! (I actually sound like Christine when I sing, but I'll let her have my glory.) The stagework for the ball and the Phantom's lair was spectacular. I want to see it again and again!
The chandelier came down (slowly).
We couldn't take pictures inside, so here are outdoor pictures.
I was giddy afterward!

The Klein Sisters: Jenny, Michelle, and Laura

Me and my Dad

We couldn't take pictures inside, so here are outdoor pictures.
I was giddy afterward!

The Klein Sisters: Jenny, Michelle, and Laura

Me and my Dad

Kennewick
The McKays
We spent 4 days in Kennewick vising Derrick's family. We stayed at Will and Kaili's house. Dayton LOVED staying there. Whenever we were in the car he'd ask for "Kaili's houf," and he still asks for it now that we're home. He would also ask for "Jagga baf" because he took a bath with his cousin Jaxon.
Dayton's letter creation after Jaxon got out

The boys were funny because they didn't play together too much, but they seemed to enjoy each other. A fun thing to watch was their build and destroy patter. Dayton would build a tower out of blocks or legos and Jaxon would get wide-eyed and hurry over to knock it over. Dayton was frustrated to see his "tower" destroyed over and over again! He threw a small fit each time!
Dayton Builds and Jaxon Destroys

Dayton also asks for "Jagga Toys" because Jaxon had lots of toys. He had a Mater Tow-truck from Cars which Dayton road daily; I guess you could say it was right up Dayton's alley! Man I'm funny.
Jaxon also had an amazing playroom upstairs, complete with a Ball Pit, Swing and Slide, and Crawling Tunnels.
Jaxon also had an amazing playroom upstairs, complete with a Ball Pit, Swing and Slide, and Crawling Tunnels.


Southridge Football
We went to Derrick's high school's homecoming football game. The Southridge Suns won! Woo-hoo! Cindy had saved Derrick's and Will's old letterman's jackets, so here we are wearing our husbands' coats proudly!

Pictures of Derrick's Family
Bill and All of His Grandkids Dayton, Daphne, and Jaxon

Bill with Two Suckling Calves Jaxon and Dayton

Daphne and Aunty Beth

Daphne with Grandma Cindy

Dayton Playing with Uncle Alex

Grandpa, Why is that hair on your face?!

Dayton remembers all of my family and Derrick's family by name and pictures.
Playing Outside
Dayton had fun playing outside with the McKays. They actually had plenty of accommodations for kids...
Playing Outside
Dayton had fun playing outside with the McKays. They actually had plenty of accommodations for kids...
Swingset with Grandma
Trampoline: Kaili, Dayton, Jaxon, Beth, and Cindy
Playing Ring Around the Rosie
Tractor with Beth
This tractor was Grandpa's when he was younger.
Trampoline: Kaili, Dayton, Jaxon, Beth, and Cindy
Playing Ring Around the Rosie

Tractor with Beth
This tractor was Grandpa's when he was younger.

Issaquah
Laura and Blane
We visited Laura and Blane in their new home, "Rola's houf," in Issaquah (near Seattle). We were their first house guests, which was exciting for all! Laura didn't have any toys at her place, and she told me she child-proofed the house, but we quickly learned that she did not as Dayton wandered around finding toys of his own. He broke off a knob on a drawer, turned her computer on and off 10 times within 10 seconds (which I'm sure was great for the computer), clanged around with her glass baking containers, and spilled all her tiny smooth rocks that she had used for decoration in a candle-holder. Do you think she'll ever invite us back?
Laura and Blane are both chefs, so my mom and I were in heaven while we stayed there. Blane made us delicious, mouth-watering steaks for dinner, with potatoes and mushrooms. He's such a good cook that I even ate the mushrooms! If you know me at all, you know that I have never enjoyed mushrooms in anything, but his tasted good. Maybe they were tripping me out... Laura served us smoothies and toasted bagels for breakfast; then we had pesto tortellini with ham salad for lunch. Mom and I gobbled everything up! She also made her too-good-to-be-true chocolate chip cookies. We ate far too many of them. Thanks guys- you're great cooks!
They took us to the Salmon Hatchery in town. Dayton kept saying, "Big Fishy." It was raining, but he walked all around and kept asking for more.
Blane, Dayton, and Laura
WoodlandWe went down to Woodland to visit my Aunt Goni, Uncle Grover, and cousins Jill, Laurel, and Heidi for Jill's birthday. Dayton got to play with his second cousins Cohen, Elise, and Nelson. The camera was in the car the whole time, so just trust me that we had a good time. Happy Birthday Jill!
Things Dayton Learned
1. How to talk in sentences ("Dayton pet Allie" and "Tada Crying")
2. How to feed himself (cereal, for example)
3. How to open doors (oh no!)
4. How to say "Milk" instead of "Gok" or "Ga ga"
Dayton's Latest Phases
Dayton's in a building phase, making towers out of ANYTHING, and getting mad if the towers fall. The "Do-it-yourself" phase has also emerged. When I try to help him with these towers, or up stairs, or with just about anything, he says "No Mommy hep." If I ever put a piece of tower up for him, he takes it down and does it again on his own.
Things from Chicago I missed the most:
1. My husband! (I had to put him at #1)
2. My electric toothbrush (my teeth feel so clean now, how did I survive without it?)
3. My kids' shampoo; it's a fancy kind Jenny bought for my kids' cradle cap (I didn't bring it on the trip because I knew my mom had some)
4. My tempurpedic pillow (ahhh...)
Flight Home
Our flight home went well for the first few hours, but then my kids erupted. They both screamed as loud as they could. I was just waiting for another passenger to yell at me to shut my kids up! My mom and I concluded that we had too many kids and heavy bags to carry. I'm never traveling with my kids again...
Reunited with Daddy
Derrick was thrilled to have his family home. Dayton was excited, too. Yes, Derrick missed us despite all the playtime he had while we were gone.
























5 comments:
Wow, what a post! I feel like I need to take a nap after that one! Did it take three days to write that?
It was good to get a written account of what you were doing with my kids while I was all alone.
lol! I love you babe.
Your kids are way too cute! The picture of them in their diapers is too cute! It was nice seeing you guys while you were here :)
The pictures of the kids in their diapers are priceless!
p.s. We're really happy that you could come to Jill's birthday party.
I feel like you should have split it up because I have a lot of things to comment on.
1. I LOVED being with you! I can't wait until we live closer.
2. Thank you for doing my wedding video! I can't wait to see it.
3. I love your kids...Dayton is SO funny and cute and a perfectionist (like someone I know) and Daphne is just the cutest little girl! I saw this princess thing to put on a quilt and it made me want to make her a quilt for when she has a bigger bed but I'll leave that to your mom. Can't invade the territory!!
4. The pics of them in their diapers NEED to be framed!!!! Seriously. Perfectly cute.
5. I wish I was there when you ripped your pants.
6. Thanks for being the best friend EVER!! (ever is said in a Monica tone.)
Wow, that was a mammoth post! Most impressive. I'm glad you had a safe a fun trip to good ol' Washington. It was nice to see you, and please say you don't really mean that you'll never travel with the kids again.
Post a Comment