Dayton created a game with the Thankful Tree: story-telling. Everyday after putting up two more leaves, Dayton told me a story relating all the leaves together. Dayton's memory amazed me because as the tree became more and more full of leaves, he consistently told his story in the same order that we had added the leaves.Thankful Tree Story- Early Edition
Thankful Tree Story- Later Edition
Daphne Singing
Our completed Thankful Tree;
We put up our final two leaves on Thanksgiving
Things Dayton was thankful for: School, Chocolate Milk, Shopping, Toys at the Mall, Pizza, Cereal, My Batman Party, Eyes, Dinosaurs, Monsters, Lights, Hot Dogs, TV, Hands, and Cars.Things Daphne was thankful for: Snow White, Hearts, Sharly, Yogurt, Bunny Rabbits, Chicken Nuggets and Ranch, Daddy, Corn, Cats, Dora and Backpack and Map, Yo Gabba Gabba Toys, Water in Big Cups, Shrek, Nana, and Lemonade.
The kids' gratitude was very in-the-moment. They were thankful for whatever foods they were eating, or toys they were using, or activities we were doing, or whoever was visiting. It was fun seeing what they added each day. I would love to do this every year.
5 comments:
That was a wonderful idea. I hope you can make it a tradition. I was thrilled to be on the tree! And I didn't even encourage them to pick me.
This is such a great idea. I hope to remember by next year. I love activities for the kids that really gets them to understand a little more of the holiday. Do you guys have an advent calendar? We started ours a day late, but everyday we add a piece to the manger picture, and there's a scripture/activity to go along with them too to help the kids try to be like Jesus. I blogged about it here if you want to do one too: http://becoming-rose.blogspot.com/2010/12/its-not-too-late.html
Great idea. It will be fun to see how the things they are thankful for evolve through the years.
Our kids are shopping for kids from the Angel tree this year. I'm hoping they get the message.
Great idea! I'll steal it for next year.
It was a good idea! I'm glad you implemented it so that we got ours up too! I am so impressed by Dayton! He's too smart! :)
Post a Comment