Sunday, October 31, 2010

Trick-or-Treating

It was a cold 40 degrees on Halloween, so we added extra clothing under our costumes.
Mommy, Daphne, and Dayton ready to go Trick-or-Treating
Making stink faces (or at least Mommy is)
Then yelling (Dayton didn't want us to yell)
Then Dayton crying and Mommy is irritated
at Daddy for taking the picture

(Derrick might call this "the look" from his wife)
We met Snow White at our first house!
And Princess Tiana at another houseDayton and Daphne carrying their bags from house
to house,
trying to stay on the sunny side of the street
Trick-or-Treat!
Both kids were great at saying it, and then saying thank-you
Trick-or-treating wasn't a great experience this year. First of all, like I mentioned before- it was FREEZING, so our outer extremities lost most of their feeling. And secondly (this being the largest factor), 75% of the homes did not answer their doors!! We walked around the military housing neighborhood near our house, and we ONLY went to homes that had Halloween decorations outside. But we rang so many doorbells, then waited and waited, just to turn around and trudge to the next house in the cold, which was typically another waste of time. I think we only got candy from 5 or 6 houses. The kids ended up with about 10 pieces of candy when we got home. (They got tons from Trunk-or-Treat the night before- so they were still happy and didn't NEED more.) I'm not saying that we ONLY went trick-or-treating for the candy; it is also an experience. But it felt like a complete waste of time to go from house to house without any luck. It was a major downer for me as a parent, and also for the kids. I don't know if people weren't home because they were out trick-or-treating, or they just didn't answer because they were out of candy. Either way, we endured the frigid cold for nothing. Okay, I'm done venting.
Dayton and Daphne at an un-answered door
On the other end of the spectrum, I bought TOO MUCH candy for Derrick to pass out at home, so we ended with 5 full bags of candy that I don't know what to do with.

2 comments:

Gena said...

You are such a good mom! Avie has yet to have any real trick-or-treating experience because I always end up working the last day ofthe month. And Spencer wasn't up to taking both kids out by himself this year! What a bummer to have unanswered doors! You'll have to find a street full of retired couples with no kids at home next year!

Derrick M said...

Should have started to enforce the trick part of trick or treating there to the empty houses. Show them not to answer their door!