Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Apple Nachos, Ghost Pizza, Spiderweb Dip

We've been experimenting with some new recipes lately...

I saw a fun recipe for Apple Nachos on a friend's blog (thanks Kelsi), so the kids and I made some. Dayton and Daphne were very "helpful" eating the marshmallows while I made the nachos.We cut up two apples. Then we drizzled about 20 melted (in the microwave) caramels over the top. Next we drizzled on 1/3 bag marshmallows melted (in a saucepan) with a little bit of butter. Finally, we added chocolate sprinkles. (Note: You can also add nuts and chocolate chips if you'd like.)
They were a very tasty treat! But also very sticky/messy.While we were eating, Dayton said, "Mommy, every
time I get hungry, I want to make apple nachos."
Halloween is my FAVORITE FAVORITE holiday (I intentionally typed two favorites). I'm hosting my Church's Halloween Cooking Club soon, so the kids and I have been practicing some Halloween-themed foods for the occasion. Note: If you're coming to my Cooking Club, these recipes will no longer be a surprise to you, but don't worry- I have more recipes planned.
Ghost Pizza
The kids LOVED eating ghost pizza.
A roll of pizza dough, pizza sauce from a jar, and
sliced mozzarella cheese cut into ghosts with a cookie cutter.
Place chocolate sprinkles for eyes after cooking

Spiderweb Dip
Mix 8 oz cream cheese (softened) with 1/4 cup mayonnaise. Stir in a small 5-6 oz can of tiny shrimp (drained). Spread this mixture on a serving plate. Spread about 1 cup cocktail sauce over the top, leaving a white border. Combine a few tablespoons of mayonnaise with very little milk in a ziploc bag. Snip the corner and pipe circles onto the dip.
Create the web by drawing outward lines with a toothpick
(this effect wasn't sharp enough for me)
Or by piping the straight lines
Dayton and Daphne actually LOVED this dip, which surprised me because it had shrimp and cocktail sauce in it. We ate it with club crackers.

4 comments:

Derrick M said...

Dayton's right, everytime we do get hungry, we should eat apple nachos!

The Hamilton House said...

Yay, glad you liked the nachos! I am totally going to steal your ghost pizza one- how fun!

The Rinkels said...

Those little ghosts on the pizza are adorable. What a great idea.
I love how intense Dayton is when he's working on his face paint. He's a thinker.

Laurel said...

I'll take some of those apples. Yum! I need a hallowed recipe for a party. Hook me up!!!