Friday, May 28, 2010

Vacation for Michelle's Birthday

Well I finally did it- I turned the big 25. I don't feel old, but I don't like checking the age range 25-34 on forms and surveys, because I've been in the youthful 18-24 range for quite some time.

My mom's visit to Chicago intentionally overlapped with my birthday so she could watch our kids while Derrick and I enjoyed a vacation. We drove a few hours to Indiana and enjoyed a very relaxing 3-night stay. And in the spirit of the trip focusing on my birthday, Derrick allowed us to spend all of our driving time listening to music from Glee!

So what do you think I wanted to do most with my husband for my birthday???

DEALS!!
Derrick endured 4+ hours of deal shopping with me, at 5 different stores/locations. He was able to experience some GREAT deals, as well as one cashier that didn't want to take my coupon, and one dilemma that we had to sort out at Customer Service. So he saw both sides to this money-saving hobby of mine. He CLAIMS that he enjoyed the shopping trip.
Michelle and Derrick shopping for deals at Walgreens

I enjoyed my FREE birthday meal at Red Robin,
as well as my FREE birthday ice cream sundae!

Notre Dame
Our condo was a few minutes from the University of Notre Dame, so after dinner we enjoyed the beautiful evening weather and walked around campus. We asked a couple to take our picture with Touchdown Jesus; the wife commented that she thought it was our Resurrected Savior. So Derrick felt bad about using the nickname. But then later we asked a guy from Campus Security to help us find something cool on campus, and he said, "Did you see Touchdown Jesus?!" Derrick instantly felt better about previously using the nickname. (Note: We DO believe in Christ.)
Derrick's ONLY priority on campus-
Take a picture with Touchdown Jesus
The Golden Dome on campus
We think this sign says the University of Notre Dame- in Latin

We spent the rest of our vacation time SLEEPING IN, watching movies, doing nothing, tanning and reading by the pool (just Michelle), and RELAXING.

College Football Hall of Fame
We stopped by the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend on the last day of our vacation.
This is where my half marathon race started last year, so it was interesting to be back and remember all of my emotions that I experienced. The race ended at the Notre Dame stadium, and we visited there, too. I explained to Derrick the intense pain and fatigue I had experienced as I ran all the way around the stadium to get inside and cross the finish line. Am I right April and Mindy?!
G-R-E-A-T trip! Thanks Mom!

5 comments:

Gena said...

Happy Birthday! That sounds wonderful. Spencer and I were just talking about how nice it would be to SLEEP IN again! Glad you got to relax a little and enjoy some quality time with your hubby!

Laurel said...

Happy belated birthday! That looks like a relaxing fun trip. I'm jealous of the reading by the pool and sleeping in. Sone day.....

Derrick M said...

It was fun deal shopping with you! South Bend was tons of fun!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday! It was so nice of your mom to watch Daphne & Dayton so you could spend some time with Derrick.

The Rinkels said...

Fun birthday! I'm glad you guys had time to yourselves - very important.