Monday, April 5, 2010

Dayton's Testimony... Attempt

Last Sunday our Church had a Fast and Testimony meeting for an hour. After taking the Sacrament bread and water, the microphone at the stand is left open for members to go up and testify of their faith. Children occasionally go up and give simple testimonies of a basic belief in the Church, and gratitude for their families.

Dayton told me that he wanted to talk on the microphone. I told him he could only go up there if he could talk about Jesus. He agreed. We often talk about Jesus at home and Dayton has a basic knowledge of Christ's miracles and the incredible person that He is. So instead of feeding him the things to say line by line, I decided to ask him questions and let him answer freely. I practiced some questions with Dayton before we went up to the microphone. He came up with wonderful answers on his own.

So we headed up to the stand for our turn... But things did not go as planned.

Question: Who is Jesus?
Practiced Answer: My friend.
Microphone Answer: I don't know.

Extra Question: Is He your friend?
Microphone Answer: No.

Question: What does Jesus do?
Practiced Answer: Miracles.
Microphone Answer: Exercise.

Extra Question: Does He do miracles?
Microphone Answer: No.

Question: What if someone is sick?
Practiced Answer: He makes them feel better.
Microphone Answer: No.

Question: Does Jesus love you?
Practiced Answer: Yes.
Microphone Answer: Yes.

Question: Do you love Jesus?
Practiced Answer: Yes.
Microphone Answer: Yes.

Of course the congregation had a few laughs at Dayton's silly answers, and the next speaker mentioned "Christ's exercises" with a chuckle. I'm sure Dayton had a great time bearing his testimony, especially as he smiled after each answer. If someone else's child had done this exact same thing, I would have thought it was cute and amusing.

But I felt disappointment. I was disappointed because I want Dayton to understand the significance of testimonies and Church meetings. We ought to be reverent and respectful in Church, and testimonies are intended to express beliefs in our Savior and the Gospel. Dayton turned into such a goof when he got to the microphone, which I wouldn't have allowed if I could have anticipated it.

I was also disappointed because Dayton actually does comprehend some of Christ's magnitude, but he didn't show this at all. Dayton can talk easily about Christ's miracles (healing the sick, calming the storm, being resurrected), and Dayton speaks nothing but good things about Jesus. But when he spoke in Church, he purely came across as silly. I'm not saying that I expected Dayton to wow everyone, but I hoped he would at least share the basic things that he knows (which is also why we practiced).

I believe that Dayton has a wonderful seed of faith in our Savior planted within him. We will continue to grow and develop his faith through pictures, stories, and videos of Christ... but just not on the microphone in Fast and Testimony Meeting for a LONG while.

2 comments:

Gary and Kirsten said...

I wish it was something you could have videotaped, I would love to hear it. I guess that once he got up there and saw everyone looking at him he got a little nervous. you know how dad gets when he doesn't know what to do, he makes stupid jokes. I am glad Dayton was willing to go up there and try.

Hawaiian Sea Turtle said...

Michelle,

This had me rolling! I really felt for you, though. You must have been dying during that. What a good, patient mom you are.

By the way, Kirsten, I thought you loved Gary's jokes!