Friday, February 19, 2010

Tender Story Time

When Dayton needs to poop on the potty, he takes his time. He sits there for a while waiting for his poop to come, or holding it in. I often sit on the stool and read books to him to pass the time.

The other night he was spending poop time on the potty before bed, and Daphne took the initiative to start reading to him. She brought books in one at a time. She flipped to one or two pages in each book and said something from the page that she recognized or remembered, then closed the book and said "the end."
Then she ran over to the bookshelf to pick another book and hustle it back into Dayton. If she passed me on her way in, she told me "No night night."

This went on for 20 minutes. I kept asking Dayton if he pooped yet, and he kept telling me "after Daphne's all done reading."
She ended up reading 25 books to him, and she would have read more if I hadn't put an end to this wonderful story time. This picture of the book pile is about 1/3 of what ended up in the bathroom.
I was so happy watching my children interact in this way. I loved Daphne's eagerness to read to Dayton and assist him on the potty. I loved that Dayton was so delighted with Daphne's service. I loved how much fun they were both having and how well they were getting along. I just stood there and watched this tender story time; it was a very happy moment for me.

7 comments:

Laurel said...

That's sweet. Warms a mama's heart.

Tara H said...

awww, that's the BEST when they have moments like these. I remember thinking the happiest sound in the world was when my kids first started giggling at each other. It's hard to have them close, but so nice too! Cute story.

Anonymous said...

So sweet =] It's so cute to see them interacting together & helping each other out.

Gary and Kirsten said...

Daphne picked up on what you had done for Dayton in the past. I can't wait to see what they do next! I think they are going to be great friends when they get older.

April said...

How sweet they are. I'm shocked that Dayton stayed sitting on the potty for so long! But, I guess he just didn't want his story time with Daphne to end!

Gena said...

That is so sweet. Such a little nurturer that Daphne! I love hearing stories about siblings doing things like this with each other. Can't wait to see what my little ones end up doing!

Serena said...

I love it! I wish Daphne would read to me on the potty!