Monday, March 30, 2009

Signs of the Recession


I enjoy listening to a podcast called 'This American Life' as I walk to and from campus each day. If you have a Zune, Ipod, or even just an MP3 player, it's a pretty good hour-long show that gets updated every week. Here is a list of some of their favorite shows that you can listen to from the internet; the 'Ghost of Bobby Dunbar' is very eye-opening, along with 'Giant Pool of Money'; also any show with an act from David Sedaris will definitely be funny! This week's show is titled 'Scenes from a Recession.' Here are a couple of facts that they listed at the beginning of the show:
  • Dentists are reporting an increase of cracked teeth from grinding teeth - this is a transient condition that is often associated with stress
  • Eurologist have reported a rise in vasectomies
  • Traffic delays dropped by 1/3 last year
  • 2 women in Pennsylvania - in separate incidents - robbed banks and then immediately used the money to buy cashier's checks to pay for their rent
  • Porn sales are down 10 - 30%
  • Shark attacks are at their lowest point in 5 years - people aren't vacationing as much and hence less people in the ocean to feed the sharks
Short list, but I thought it was pretty interesting.

2 comments:

Rock, Paper, Scissors said...

Exactly how long is your commute from your apartment to school?

:o) j/k

You gotta love David Sedaris. Best satire comedian of today!

Serena said...

I love random facts.