My mom signed us up for a beginner cake decorating class at Michael's. It's only 4 classes and it's very basic, but since I knew NOTHING about decorating cakes, I'm sure learning a lot!
Ta-da! Daphne with the cake she designed.
But this is no ordinary cake... it's a torte cake! That's cake code for having layers and filling. And I'll show you how I did it! This information will seem trivial to anyone who has done this before, but this was my first time so I'm proud of myself.
Slice your cake in half and remove the top. Then make an icing dam around the edge of your bottom layer to keep the filling from squishing out when you replace the top (genius, right?!). I used a chocolate pudding Snack Pack for my filling (store-bought pudding is a little thicker than home-made, so it works better inside a cake.)
Spread the pudding evenly.
The bottom layer with icing dam and pudding- my torte!
Replace the top layer(I trimmed the top dome off the cake so it was more flat)
Ice the cake from the top down.
Reduce icing lines by dipping your spatula in hot water and then gently smoothing down the icing.
My mom and I each took one of these cakes to class and decorated them using a transfer. We traced the pattern with piping gel onto wax paper, and then transferred the gel to the cake top for a perfect outline for decorating
My mom created a fish for Dayton
Daphne asked for a heart with a flower inside, so I decorated this for her
We're learning neat tricks for using frosting tips; we can even make borders! Next week we're learning flowers. We're practically professionals already.
2 comments:
Can't wait for my birthday cake!
I didn't give you permission to post my cake!
Post a Comment