
Today was our 10-year anniversary. My mom and I were baptized and confirmed into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints on April 4, 2002. We began this journey of faith when I was a junior in high school, surrounded by Mormon friends. The missionaries knocked on my mom's door and she accepted their invitation to learn more about Christ and His Church. We were taught together by Elder Mark Allphin, Elder Shane Larson, and Elder Travis Hamblin. We studied all the 'discussions' with the missionaries, and then chose to be baptized together. A year later I went to Brigham Young University with my friends, and I met Derrick on my first Sunday at Church there. Another year later, I did my endowment covenant in the Nauvoo Illinois Temple with my Mom by my side. And a few weeks later, Derrick and I were sealed in the Lake Oswego Temple in Portland Oregon. And now my eternal family includes my sweet son and daughter. We are teaching them about Christ and the gospel so they can grow to have eternal families as well. Just think of the ripple effect that a person joining the Church can have! I hope my ripple can stand for generations and generations of faith.
I can't imagine going through this journey without my Mom; we have helped each other through rough times, and offered support without question. I think in the beginning we needed each other for emotional support, a companion at Church meetings, and for figuring out gospel principles together. Even now we need each other for inspiration and understanding. I'm thankful we made that choice 10 years ago, and I'm thankful for who I am today because of it.
For our anniversary, we drove up to Seattle; Jenny watched Dayton and Daphne so my mom and I could go to the Seattle Temple together. It was a great day!
Michelle and Kirsten at the Seattle Temple
2 comments:
It was a wonderful day, I am glad we got to spend it together. Going to the Temple made it perfect!
I couldn't be prouder of you honey. I'm glad that you and your mom were able to celebrate this day together at the temple. I only wish I could have been there to support you.
Post a Comment