Monday, December 29, 2008

Ender, Thank you for being so amazing and saving the world

Derrick read Twilight for me, so I read Ender's Game for him. I think we can mutually agree that we enjoyed each other's books. By the way, all this reading was only possible because Derrick's on a break from school. Usually, he's reading textbooks, and I'm reading kids' books.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game is a science fiction book about a little boy going through battle/command school starting at age 6, and then continuing for several years. He's a genius, and the best prospect that humans have at beating the aliens (or 'buggers' in the book) in an attack.

I really enjoyed reading about Ender and his thoughts. It was fun watching him sort out difficult problems and come up with new strategies for battle. I'm not into war strategies, but I followed this book just fine. I enjoyed the few relationships that he had with friends, too. He never had a romantic interest, but I suppose he was just a boy after all.

I have to add my criticism of the book because of how Derrick mocked Edward (which is REALLY not cool). The book had three fight scenes that were graphic and descriptive about the gory details, which kind of made my stomach turn (graphic for me may not be graphic for you). I can't watch or read gruesome stuff like that; I'm a wimp. It's hard to 'look away' when I'm reading!

Other than that, I liked how it ended. I was surprised Ender felt worse about the aliens than about the human fighters, because I would have been the opposite. But I guess he's entitled to his own opinion. I don't think he needed to revive their race, but oh well. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Add Edward and Bella, and the book would be PERFECT.

I might read a few more books from this series (because Derrick has them), in all of my "spare time" instead of watching soap operas and eating bon-bons (which Derrick thinks I do).

By the way, Derrick's book Ender's Game is autographed by the author inside. It reads: "To Derrick, a friend of Ender. Orson Scott Card" My husband is so cool!


Twilight Tattoo Pictures
I have to add these pictures from 2 years ago when I first read the book Twilight. My set of Twilight books came with some character tattoos, so Derrick and I had fun with them. He was a fan of the book from the moment he stuck this on his arm, whether he knew it or not.

Michelle (pregnant with Dayton) and Derrick
sporting Twilight tattoos


Michelle kissing Edward (I wish)
Even two years later, I still feel this way about Edward...
We're going to see the movie Twilight in a few weeks. We'll let you know how we like it!

Gee honey, I don't think they've ever made a movie out of Ender's Game? Huh, maybe that's because TWILIGHT IS BETTER!

5 comments:

Derrick M said...

Nice review babe. I have to add that the fight scenes in Ender's Game really aren't that graphic at all. Braveheart, The Patriot and Army of Darkness are graphic.

Don't worry, they'll make a movie out of Ender's Game soon enough. They still have a few more comic book series to turn into movies and they are waiting for the special effects technology to get up to par for the caliber of the movie!

Last note: Adding Edward and Bella would KILL the book much like how Edward kills mountain lions and Emmett kills Grizzlies.

Michelle M said...

I disagree my darling. You can never go wrong adding Edward to anything.

Kimberly said...

I love that you two are arguing through comments!

Rock, Paper, Scissors said...

hee hee hee.

what fun!

Serena said...

Um, why didn't you tell me about the Twilight books earlier? Maybe we need to start a long distance book club? If we lived closer this would have never happened. Miss you BF!