Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Edward, oh Edward, could you be any more perfect?

Since personal blogs are usually about divulging embarrassing secrets to the world, I wouldn't want to let our readers down on such a special night like tonight.


Michelle has read through all of the Twilight series (I think it only took her 6 total days) and really wants to go see the movie with me. Since she wears the pants in the house, I of course obliged dutifully. Reading a review or two about the movie, one reviewer said that the movie has a hard time standing on its own for those viewers who haven't read the book. I, wanting to make this trip as enjoyable as possible, decided to sit down and read the drama that can unravel between a vampire and a mortal girl.

I consider myself well educated in the woman's movie club. I've seen and enjoyed the 5-hour version of Pride and Prejudice, I've also sat through 2 Ann of Green Gables and half of the third without much effort. When Michelle says that she wants to watch a chick flick tonight, after a short protest, I usually end up enjoying the show. So you could expect me to enjoy the Twilight book just as much. Well here is what I got out of the book:

Bella moves to Forks and meets Edward.
Bella gets all twitterpated over Edward.
Plot happens, Bella ogles over Eward.
Edward develops feelings for Bella, Bella continues to get dizzy/tongue-tied around Edward.
Bella mentions that Edward is gorgeous.
More plot happens, Edward is completely perfect
A tracker almost kills Bella, no cool fight, Edward is still AMAZING.
The End.

How much dreamier can a guy get?

I think there were some funny parts in there, but the book is pretty much about how ridiculously amazing Edward is. Even his breath is a knock-out for Bella. Too bad we never find out what kind of breath mints he uses. Michelle would like it if my breath was better.

Sorry this is such a bad review of the book, Stephanie Meyer really did write the book very well and gave it good movement and progression. Only half way through the book I figured that Edward's good looks would become a passing note, something mentioned only here and there. But instead I was continuously reminded of Edward's romantic hold over Bella.

Good news is that Michelle promised that she would read Ender's Game, one of my all time favorite books, in return for me reading one of her's. You should expect her review later...

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Update: I have to add the link from Cora's comment that goes to another blog entry about a man's take on Edward and Jacob. It's pretty funny and well worth the read!

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

I can't believe you have sat through pride and prejudice and ann of green gables. Toby almost divorced me for making him watch White Christmas!

Cora said...

Michelle is right - just admit it. It's a wonderful book and a great escape out of reality for a few hours a day... or for six days if you're able to read them all at once! :) Well, if you don't agree, then I suppose I will tell you there are others like you who are a little dazed about the whole Edward craze. And Enders Game? I read it ... Meh.

The Rinkels said...

This was hilarious!
Any guy that will watch Anne of Green Gables is a keeper - that's for sure.

Rock, Paper, Scissors said...

Hilarious! That is definitely the kind of TMI posts in the blogosphere. Too funny. As much as I enjoy the books, your synopsis of the movie is dead on for the entire series. You are funny Derrick.

Michelle M said...

As a watchful wife, I can assure you all that Derrick DID ENJOY the book. He's contemplating finishing the series.

Honey, I've told you once, and I'll tell you again, this picture of Edward (from the movie) does him an injustice. He is not MY Edward, or the beautiful, amazing Edward that I've developed in my mind. You're tainting his image!

Serena said...

I didn't know she was going to read Twilight! I loved the series, but the first book was by far the worst and slowest. They just get better and better!