Last night I had the opportunity to inject a fellow classmate with a local anesthetic on her big toe (Hallux is the official word). This was my first time giving an injection so it was pretty cool. The biggest barrier for me to get over was knowing that I was causing another person pain as I performed the injection, but I was so focused on putting the needle in the right spot and performing it correctly that I totally forgot about causing her pain. She'd had the injection before and said that it wasn't any worse from what she experienced, so that made me feel good. She also injected my hallux.

This injection isn't on the hallux like what I did,
but it gives you an idea.
We injected a whole 3 cc's of anesthetic (totally filled up the syringe, the syringe in the picture holds 3 cc's) onto the medial and lateral (left and right side) of the big toe. I learned that if you inject the anesthetic slowly the pain is reduced and the technique we used was a slow 'piston-like' movement with the syringe to work the anesthetic around. When I was 'pistoning' the needle it actually came out twice and I had to reinsert it. I tried to put it into the same spot but the hole was too small to see, luckily though her toe had already started to become numb so she didn't have any pain when I reinserted the needle.
It was pretty cool to perform my first injection; bring on the surgery! Surgery won't happen for at least another year.
It was pretty cool to perform my first injection; bring on the surgery! Surgery won't happen for at least another year.
3 comments:
Too much information! That's gross honey.
You forgot to mention that your instructor made everyone come look at your toes because of the ingrown toenails you'd had removed! You're such a good learning tool.
Derrick WOW! I remember the first time I gave an injections, I was so scared. Then I signed up to give flu shots with the Health Department and I gave lots of them. I am one of the meanies that would give 5-6 shots to a 2 month old baby. Sounds like this is getting exciting for you.
Yikes. The foot seems like a scary place to inject stuff what with all the bones and nerves :). I'm impressed you did so well on your first go. Nice work!
Post a Comment