Saturday, May 19, 2012

Daphne's First Ballet Recital

Daphne's dance recital was called "Under the Big Top"- every performance was centered on a circus theme (lions, popcorn, clowns, trapeze artists, bears, etc.)  Daphne's class was named "Baby Elephants."  

I took most of my pictures at the rehearsal the night before.  We were calling it "Crazy Mom Night" because moms were everywhere snapping photos of the girls at rehearsal, but during the recital we were respectful and well-behaved (meaning we stayed in our seats.)
My Baby Elephant!!
Daphne's costume had accessories: an arm trunk, a tail, and ears
  Daphne's class lining up
 Daphne's grump face
 
 On stage practicing the finale; 
Daphne was thrilled she got to hold the cheerleader's hand
 
 Waiting for music to practice her routine;
you can tell she's already tired of my camera
 
 
 Dancing- swaying her trunk up and down having a bath
 Dancing- wiggling her ears
 Dancing- doing the elephant march holding onto tails;
Daphne loved being the leader

Recital Time:
 Here's Daphne backstage before the big show!!  
She was excited that I let her wear mascara
I wonder what the girls did backstage the whole time.  We were told that the older girls would watch the younger girls during the recital, and that dancers had to stay backstage throughout the entire show.  She was backstage for nearly 2 hours- I hope she behaved!  They gave the girls paper and crayons, and I gave Daphne a box of whale crackers and told her to share.
 Daphne's class waiting for their turn to perform
We weren't very close to the stage, so you can't see the girls very well in my video.  I'm going to purchase the professional DVD of the recital so we can remember it more clearly.  If for some reason, you can't tell what the girls are doing... they are waving their trunks (a lot), having a bath, eating peanuts, wiggling their ears, and marching.  It may, however, appear that they stand still most of the time!  The audience sure laughed a lot.  Daphne's class age 3-4 is the youngest at this studio.
  Baby Elephants on Parade!!  Here is Daphne's dance.
Daphne leads the class in the marching (far left)
We told Daphne that dancers who do a really good job performing get flowers after the recital.  Daphne was happy to get 2 bouquets of flowers- one from Nana & Grandpa, and one from Grandma Ava.
Daphne holding both flower bouquets
 Back onstage for another picture (Oh Mom!)
 Me and my adorable elephant Daphne
 Daphne and Dayton after the show
I wish we could attend the Allen Creek Dance Studio again next year!  We'll have to find a fun place for dance in Boston.

1 comment:

Gary and Kirsten said...

I am so glad she got to experience Dance classes while she was here. Allen Creek Dance Center is wonderful. The baby Elephants were wonderful. Even though they didn't know the routine they stole the show.