Thursday, September 10, 2009

Dayton's First Day of Pre-School


Dayton had his first day of pre-school on Tuesday. He gets to go for 2.5 hours in the morning for 5 days a week (or as many days as I feel like taking him). We were able to find a place that is government-funded, and free for people on government aid (like us). But it is a WONDERFUL preschool! The teachers seem oddly excited about working with the kids; they're keeping a portfolio of work for each child, and they asked us for a family picture to hang on their family tree wall. Dayton is THRILLED to be there. The pre-school has 2 wonderful fenced-in playgrounds (one for pre-schoolers and one for the toddler daycare) for the kids to play outside on nice days. Dayton's classroom seems to have every activity and game that delights him. He's now in a class with his 2 closest friends from Church.


Dayton even likes washing his hands in the short little sink when he gets there. On his first day, I had such a proud mom moment when he got the soap on his hands and started loudly singing his ABCs while he scrubbed. His teachers were impressed. This is our family's way of practicing the alphabet song while timing how long we scrub our hands before rinsing. That's my boy!


Dayton begs for his school, both before and after he goes for the day. I try to ask him about his activities at school, but all I can get out of him is that he gets to "paint, play at the park, and play on the computer." However, he has already told me two odd stories from school...

#1
"And we played outside at the park. And I hurt my foot. And I cried. But my teacher didn't come."
- My thought/worry: I hope they're attentive when he needs help.

#2
"My teacher said sit down. And my friend didn't sit down. And my friend spit on me like this (Dayton imitating the spitting)."
- My thought/worry: Super. He'll be around plenty of kids every day so that he can bring home plenty of new germs and sicknesses for our family!


With that said, I'm excited to have him in pre-school. He loves it, and I love the 2 free hours to get something done. He's so grown-up!


Funny side-note: One of my kids peed on the potty for me three times yesterday. Was it my big boy pre-schooler? Nope. It was Daphne. Dayton peed zero times on the potty. He also refuses to poop on the potty, but Daphne loves it. Maybe his pre-school teachers will potty-train him for me?!

5 comments:

Serena said...

Haha oh no about the spitting! But at least Dayton won't be teaching the kids swear words like Tyson right??!! And I wanna see some pics of him getting dropped off!

Gary and Kirsten said...

He is growing up so fast! I think he will be one of the smarter kids in his class, you and Derrick have done such a great job of raising him and teaching him. I hope he doesn't get bored. I remember taking him to the library and it was an older class. they showed a shape and he knew right away it was a hexagon.
He will potty train when he's ready. I know you are ready!

April said...

I'm so glad that Dayton got in the morning class with Susie! I am still glowing with the idea that I have 2.5 hours most days to do almost anything I want! YAY for preschool!!!

The Rinkels said...

Wow, preschool already?
Don't fight the potty training thing. It will only drive you crazy. It will happen when he's ready and not a day before.

Dani said...

Holy cow...preschool! Dayton looks so excited! I'm impressed that he likes washing his hands--what a little trooper!