
I just finished my first book that I plan on reading over the summer, 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' by Ken Kesey. And I have to agree with TIME Magazine's placement of the book in its 100 best english novels from 1923 to 2005. The antagonist is the infamous Nurse Ratched (Big Nurse) who manipulates her patients into following whatever rules she deems as 'therapeutic.' When Randle McMurphy gets onto the ward, he openly defies her power and a great power struggle erupts between them. The book only gets better and better the further you read and has an extremely powerful ending.
If you are looking for a book to read over this summer and don't know which to pick up, this is a great candidate for some captivation and thought provoke-tion. It does have some adult themes here and there but all in all, a good read.
Wikipedia has a good cliffnotes version of the book but with spoilers and also an interesting history of how Ken Kesey did his research in writing the book.
Also, as a Half-life fan, it was great to read about the inspiration for the Combine.
5 comments:
Yea! I needed a book to read. I am on it! Thank you.
The word "provoke-tion" is driving me crazy!! You did that on purpose.
I think it's funny that you read MY copy of the book from my high school english class, yet I've never read the book (thank you cliffnotes). So what else is on your summer reading list? Might I suggest the rest of the Twilight series????
I am just impressed that you want to read after a full year of Podiatry school. I swear as soon as Dave's first year was over... the last thing he wanted to do was read anything!
That's on my list of things to do in my lifetime.
Thanks for the nudge!
Not about the post, but could you explain the smoke in the header pic?
Post a Comment