Since October I've been spending one day a week in Dayton's classroom when Daphne's at Joy School or at my friend's house. I help out with daily activities, or practice reading and writing sentences with the kids, or sometimes do special craft projects. All year I have not been able to use my camera in the school due to permissions and waivers, but this week we got permission to take a quick class picture for Teacher Appreciation Week. I'm so happy to have a fun picture of this wonderful group of kids. Being in Dayton's classroom is often the highlight of my week; I love these sweet children, and they enjoy having me there, too. I'm amazed at how much knowledge these little sponges can soak up, and how cheerful and caring children naturally are.
As a tangent, I'm EXTRA appreciative of teachers and the work they do for children. I enjoy time in the classroom, but I'm not there full-time. The situations and behaviors that teachers deal with are extraordinary. I don't think I could handle the stress of caring for 20 kids all day, and the stewardship of ensuring each child learns what he/she ought to learn. Teaching small children is no small task. We bought Dayton's teacher Mrs. Leonelli a t-shirt this week that says, "I TEACH- What is your super power?"

No comments:
Post a Comment