Ready to run bright and early!
Trevor, Addy, Jenny, Michelle and Derrick
Trevor said he didn't care what his final time was as long as he beat Derrick and I. We weren't expecting an actual competition- I thought we were a family team! But they were pushing a stroller, so if we won it would have been due to their handicap. My only goal was to run the 5K without stopping (which I did!), but it would have been great to beat the Williams!
Trevor, Addy, and Jenny before the race
Derrick and Michelle before the race- Go Team McKay!
We had a light drizzle of rain for nearly the whole race, which helped us stay cool. The race included 3 hills- 2 small, and one big. After the first hill- I got a side ache. I'm a wimp when it comes to side aches, and that is usually when I stop running. But I toughed it out and kept moving. Going up the large hill, my pace definitely slowed, but Derrick encouraged me and I made it without walking. We didn't have markers telling us how far we had gone, but toward the end I heard a bystander say "Last half mile!" so I picked up my pace. I sprinted for the last 3 blocks, which was thankfully also a decline. Jenny and Trevor were waiting for us at the finish line. Yes--they beat us--stroller and all!!! My excuse is that they've been training outside with slight inclines. I've done all my conditioning inside on a flat treadmill, so the hills and fresh air were not for me. (Does this sound like whining? I'm trying to justify my loss...)
Jenny's time: 26:47 (8:38 min/mile)
Trevor's time: 26:47 (8:38 min/mile)
Trevor's time: 26:47 (8:38 min/mile)
Michelle's time: 27:48 (8:58 min/mile)
Derrick's time: 27:47 (8:58 min/mile)
Jenny and I wore our hats for the entire race-
it actually kept the rain out of my eyes.
Jenny, Trevor, Adelynn, Michelle, and Derrick
Michelle and Derrick
Addy was so great in her stroller the whole time!
This multi-person statue was decorated for the occasion, and everyone
was posing for pictures with it, so Jenny and I wanted to do it, too!


No comments:
Post a Comment